When it comes to price hikes, the airlines play by different rules altogether. At first blush, one might assume the airlines wouldn't risk alienating cash-strapped consumers with steep price increases, yet every year the airlines introduce fees and boost ticket costs, and 2011 was no different.
This month, Delta (DAL) announced it would raise ticket prices by $4 to $10 each way just in time for the holidays, causing other major airlines including Southwest (LUV) and United Continental (UAL) to follow suit. This comes after Delta and other airlines raised baggage fees and introduced others, including an extra charge for seats with more legroom.
How do they get away with it? It all comes down to supply and demand -- and in this case, mostly supply.
"If you have to travel, there aren't that many choices, and airlines have cut back capacity over the years, so it's tough to get a seat," Baumohl says. "That's why airlines have been more successful in raising prices over the years and making them stick."6. Disneyworld
Pretty soon you'll need a treasure of your own to afford a ticket to the Magic Kingdom. The Walt Disney Co. (DIS) increased the cost of a single adult ticket for its Disneyworld theme park earlier this year to $85 to $85 from $82 after having raised it the previous year to $82 from $79. Unfortunately, there is only one Disneyworld, so families wanting to experience it firsthand have little choice but to fork over the extra dough. >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV