United Stationers Inc. (NASDAQ: USTR), a leading North American wholesale distributor of business products, today reported third quarter 2011 sales up 3.1% and adjusted earnings per share up 13% (1).
Third Quarter Financial Highlights
- Net sales in the third quarter were $1.3 billion, up 3.1% from the prior-year quarter.
- Diluted earnings per share were $0.81, compared with $0.77 in the prior-year quarter. The third quarter 2010 results included a favorable $0.05 per share for a $3.3 million non-cash pre-tax reversal of liabilities resulting from the termination of a post-retirement medical plan. After excluding this item from the prior year, diluted earnings per share for the third quarter of 2011 were up 13% (1), compared with an adjusted $0.72 (1) a year ago.
- Gross margin in the third quarter of 2011 was up $4.9 million to $199.8 million, or 15.3% of sales, compared with $194.9 million, or 15.3% of sales, in last year’s third quarter.
- Operating expenses in the quarter were $135.1 million, or 10.3% of sales, compared with $129.3 million, or 10.2% of sales in the prior-year quarter. Operating expenses as a percentage of sales in the third quarter of 2011 were favorable by 12 basis points compared with 10.4% (1) in the same period last year after excluding the medical plan adjustment mentioned above.
- Operating income in the quarter was $64.6 million, or 4.9% of sales, compared with $65.5 million, or 5.2% of sales, in the year-ago quarter. Operating income in the 2011 quarter was up $2.4 million and operating margin was flat at 4.9%, compared with the prior-year quarter after adjusting for the medical plan adjustment mentioned above.
- Net income was $35.8 million in 2011, compared with $36.5 million in the year-ago quarter. Third quarter 2011 net income was up $1.4 million (1), compared with the adjusted prior-year quarter of $34.4 million (1).
- Year-to-date net cash provided by operating activities totaled $99.5 million versus $114.4 million last year.
- Cash paid for share repurchases for the nine months ended September 30, 2011, totaled $137.7 million for 4.3 million shares. As of September 30, 2011, the company had $50 million remaining under its board of directors approved common stock repurchase program. On October 19, 2011, the board of directors approved a $0.13 per share dividend to shareholders of record on December 15, 2011 and payable on January 13, 2012.
- In September 2011, the company closed a five-year $700 million Revolving Credit Facility.
“Our growth and customer initiatives continue to drive positive results, particularly in our janitorial/breakroom and industrial categories, in an economy that still does not have many bright spots,” said Cody Phipps, president and chief executive officer. “We are keeping a sharp focus on margins, operating costs and capital deployment to ensure a strong financial position in the current environment. At the same time, we continue to invest in the future, creating attractive long-term opportunities for the business.”
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.