Forget About Greece? Not So Fast
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The euro was born in January 1999, which means the European common currency will turn 13 in January. When I was 13, I never wanted my hair cut as short as my mother did. So we would negotiate -- sometimes right down to the final snip in the barber chair. Neither of us was happy, but we could both live with the outcome. This appears to be the key issue for the stock market as it reacts to the amount of the "haircut" in the ongoing Greek debt negotiations.
The S&P 500 Index gained for a third consecutive week, marking the first time that has happened since February. Last week once again featured solid and better-than-expected economic data and earnings reports and no breakthroughs on European debt problems -- although discussions seemed to progress on the amount of the Greek bond "haircut." The S&P 500 Index closed the week at 1238, basically flat for the year, and up 13% from the low of Oct. 3.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV