Is Abby Joseph Cohen Still an Optimist?
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Abby Joseph Cohen has been a legend on Wall Street for decades. Cohen, an economist and financial analyst, began her career in 1973 as an economist for the Federal Reserve Board at a time when women were just beginning to have an active presence in the rough-and-tumble financial world. Four years later, she moved to T. Rowe Price, working as a quantitative research director and economist.
In 1983 she moved to Drexel Burnham Lambert, where she stayed until a Justice Department inquiry led to the firm's demise. She worked briefly for Barclays de Zoete Wedd, then moved to Goldman Sachs in 1990 as vice president and co-chair of the bank's Investment Policy Committee. She rose through the ranks at Goldman, becoming a partner in 1996 and, ultimately, the bank's Chief Investment Strategist, a position she retained until David Kostin replaced her in March of 2008.
|Abby Joseph Cohen|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV