One name in the regional bank complex that has started to break out is Fulton Financial (FULT), a multi-bank holding company that offers retail and commercial banking products and services in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey and Virginia. This stock is off to a slow start in 2011, with shares off by around 6%.
Last week, Fulton said its third-quarter earnings jumped 25% as credit rends improved, and the company set aside less money to cover bad loans.
If you look at the chart for Fulton Finanical, you'll notice that this stock has just started to break out above some past overhead resistance at $9.30 a share on monster volume. Volume on Thursday registered 5.2 million and on Friday 10.3 million (both up days), which is well above its three-month average action of 1.6 million shares. Now the stock just needs to take out its 200-day moving average of $10.06 a share to trigger its next bullish technical signal.>>Does Technical Trading Really Work? If you're looking to buy this stock, you could simply get long on any noticeable weakness. I would place a mental stop a few percentage points below $9.30 a share in case this breakout fails. I would then add aggressively to any long position once the stock takes out $10.06 with solid volume. Target a run back towards its 52-week high of $11.91 or possibly even higher if this breakout is the real deal. To see more breakout candidates, including Stoneridge (SRI), Sequans Communications (SQNS) and Amylin Pharmaceuticals (AMLN), check out the Breakout Stocks of the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Roberto Pedone in Winderemere, Fla.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV