Chase today announced that it will participate in the expanded Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP) so that thousands more Chase customers can take advantage of today’s historically low interest rates.
Coordinated through the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA), the expanded program will allow more homeowners who have made their mortgage payments on time in the last year to refinance even though they do not have enough equity in the home to qualify for traditional refinancing. The existing mortgage must have been sold to Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac on or before May 31, 2009. The new HARP program will come in phases starting with loan applications dated December 1, 2011 or after.
The enhancements to the HARP program, announced separately today by the FHFA, will include:
- Eliminating certain risk-based fees for borrowers who refinance into shorter-term mortgages and lowering fees for other borrowers;
- Removing the cap on loan-to-value (LTV) – previously set at 125 percent – to allow far more borrowers to qualify (effective sometime in the first quarter of 2012);
- Extending HARP through December 31, 2013; and
- Streamlining the process further for borrowers.
“We are pleased to work with FHFA to expand the HARP program because it should help thousands of Chase customers reduce their monthly mortgage payments,” said Frank Bisignano, CEO of Mortgage Banking at Chase. “We estimate it could lower a family’s mortgage payments by an average of $2,500 a year, providing them more financial flexibility and improving the quality of their lives.”HARP was introduced in April 2009 and was designed to assist homeowners in refinancing their mortgage even though they may owe more than their home is currently worth. Today, the program allows refinancing of qualifying loans if the borrower owes up to 125 percent of the home’s value.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV