The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
Updated with clarification of OWS connection to 'Bank Transfer Day.'
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The "Occupy Wall Street" (OWS) movement has expressed support for "Bank Transfer Day" on Nov. 5, the day by which Americans are supposed to have transferred their deposits to community banks. OWS has supported many causes, but one of the issues protesters have complained about is the new $5 per month debit card fee announced by Bank of America (BAC) and similar fees by others.
The latest news, photos and videos from the 'Occupy Wall Street' protests.
I am not a big fan of the Too Big to Fail (TBTF) banks. But, it might be good to understand what has happened here. In the Dodd-Frank legislation, Congress authorized the Fed to set limits on debit card "swipe" fees which were averaging more than 40 cents. The Fed set the maximum at 21 cents beginning on Oct. 1 (that was higher than the original desired level of 12 cents).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV