BOSTON ( MainStreet) -- The bigger the company -- the more iconic the brand -- the more persistently it is dogged by rumor and conspiracy theories.
Ranging from the gross and absurd to matters only resolved through litigation, false claims against companies have traditionally been spread by word of mouth -- somehow traveling coast-to-coast via a friend who told a friend who told two friends, etc.
In more recent years, email, newsgroups and Web sites have done the damaging dirty work, leading sites such as Snopes.com to serve as go-to sources for debunking.
We took a look at 10 brands that have faced ongoing viral slander:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV