On a GAAP basis, the private equity firm reported a $274.6 million loss, with negative revenue of $124.1 million. Blackstone -- which gets revenue from a buyout arm, a real estate division and a debt trading operation -- made a $339 million profit in the same period last year.
The loss comes from unrealized losses of investments, which in spite of rising management fee revenue, pushed earnings negative. Blackstone booked $462 million in unrealized losses this quarter after recording a gain of nearly $200 million in the third quarter of 2010 - impacted by falling company values in its portfolios.
In the third quarter, the S&P 500 index fell 14% and the MSCI World Index dropped 17%. Meanwhile, the VIX, a gauge of general risk aversion averaged 31 during the quarter, reflecting an almost doubling of fear from the second quarter's average level of 17.Shares fell less than 1% in early trading to $13.12 a share. The company's stock has fallen over 7% this year and 62% since its 2007 IPO. Chief executive Steven A. Schwarzman said in a press release announcing earnings, "The third quarter presented extremely challenging market conditions, dominated by risk aversion and volatility." He added, "While our earnings were not immune to the sharp downward trajectory of global markets, our limited partner investors affirmed their confidence in our world-leading businesses." The company, co-founded in 1985 by Schwarzman and Pete Peterson and which went public in 2007 just ahead of the financial crisis netting its founders billions, is the world's largest buyout firm. It still holds blockbuster leveraged-buyout deals like Hilton, Sunguard as private companies, in addition to large interests in recently IPO'ed companies like Kosmos Energy (KOS), Nielsen (NLSN) and Freescale Semiconductor (FSL).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV