Safety data to date from the trial has shown:
- No surgical complications during or after the procedures.
- No adverse events related to the injection procedures or to GRNOPC1.
- A few mild adverse events related to tacrolimus.
- No evidence of cavitation in the spinal cord at the injury sites on MRI.
- No unexpected neurological changes.
- No evidence of immune responses to GRNOPC1.
GRNOPC1 was delivered to four spinal cord injured patients at a dose of two million cells without complications from either the cells or the surgical procedure itself, and without any negative effects on the spinal cord or neurological function of the patients to date. The only side-effects observed were due to the immunosuppressive drug tacrolimus, which is administered for the first two months after injection of GRNOPC1. Furthermore, there is no evidence to date of immune rejection of GRNOPC1, an allogeneic cell therapy, including after withdrawal of immunosuppressive drug.
GRNOPC1 contains hESC-derived oligodendrocyte progenitor cells that have demonstrated remyelinating, nerve growth stimulating and angiogenic properties leading to restoration of function in rodent models of acute spinal cord injury. Preclinical studies have shown that administration of GRNOPC1 significantly improved locomotor activity and kinematic scores of rodents with spinal cord injuries when injected seven days after the injury. Histological examination of the injured spinal cords treated with GRNOPC1 showed improved axon survival and extensive remyelination surrounding the rodent axons. For more information about GRNOPC1, visit www.geron.com/GRNOPC1Trial/. For further information about the Phase 1 clinical trial, including location of clinical sites, visit http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01217008.About Spinal Cord Injury Spinal cord injury is caused by trauma to the spinal cord that results in a loss of motor control, sensatory perception, bowel and bladder control, and numerous other voluntary or involuntary body functions. A traumatic blow to the spine can fracture or dislocate vertebrae that may cause bone fragments or disc material to injure the nerve fibers and damage the oligodendrocyte cells that insulate the nerve fibers in the spinal cord. Most human spinal cord injuries are contusions (bruises) rather than lacerations to the cord. Every year approximately 12,000 people in the U.S. sustain spinal cord injuries. There are currently no approved therapies for the treatment of spinal cord injury.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV