Reported net income in the quarter was $1.11 a share vs. $1.18 a share a year ago.
Revenue for the third quarter was better than expected, up 9% to $6.15 billion from $5.65 billion in a year ago. A consensus of analysts anticipated revenue of $6.06 billion.
The maker of Cymbalta and Cialis also sharpened earnings guidance for the full year to a range of $3.89 to $3.94 a share from previous guidance of $3.85 to $3.95 a share. The company pointed to health care reform measures and expiring patent on Zyprexa as important drags on growth. Offsetting these will be increasing sales of Alimta, Cialis, Cymbalta, Effient, Humalog and animal health products.Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook. Global sales of Zyprexa fell 3% to $1.18 billion, while sales of Cymbalta rose 29% to $1.07 billion. -- Written by Carlton Wilkinson.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV