"Do we need another search engine?" he asked at the Web 2.0 summit in San Francisco. "What if [Google co-founders] Sergei and Larry hadn't tried."
Hammer, an entertainer turned angel investor and start-up advisor, said however the service isn't intended to compete head-on with Google, but to provide complementary data around a search query.
A search for one zip code, for example, would pull up data on schools, crime rates and shopping. Users could then search further for more specific information like average SAT scores for the schools and expulsion rates.Hammer, a Silicon Valley native, has high hopes for the service. "Why not swing for the fences...no one is playing for singles in the Valley anymore," he said. Hammer is just one of several celebrities, including Ashton Kutcher and Justin Timberlake, who are actively involved in the tech scene. He was also one of the earliest users of Twitter and speaks frequently about the marketing power of social media. --Written by Olivia Oran in San Francisco.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV