BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- When it comes to catalysts for stocks to move, there's nothing quite like earnings season. Good earnings can send shares rallying double-digits. At the same time, a bad turnout in earnings data can shove shares down by a similar amount. It's that extra earnings-surprise-induced volatility that makes now such a perfect time for a short squeeze.
We're still in the early stages of earnings season (the "official" kickoff was last week), but the indications are good so far. Of the roughly 10% of the S&P 500 Index that's already reported, around 70% have posted positive earnings surprises. That suggests that Wall Street is underestimating average corporate earnings this quarter.
This week, we're looking to take advantage of mispricing in heavily shorted stocks ahead of their earnings releases. After all, the added buying pressure of good earnings adds significant spark to any potential short squeeze name.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV