This email from "MR" to Ratain was one of the more entertaining he received:
"Hello Dr. Ratain: I am hoping that AF [that's me] took your comments regarding perifosine out of context. You should demand an immediate retraction, if he did manipulate your conversation. It is totally out of line for a medical doctor, such as you, involved in medical research to be associating or conversing with such an individual. I am filing a complaint with the SEC about stock manipulation and with your local medical board regarding your lack of ethics and better judgment. You should know better to have any interaction with any financial blogger from TheStreet. It is my goal to have you investigated by the SEC for possible misconduct. Where is your better judgment?"
Sorry to burst the bubble folks, but none of Ratain's comments regarding perifosine were taken out of context or manipulated. I asked him again Tuesday, just to make sure.
Along the same lines, but more polite, "Dean" asks Ratain, "Can you please advise if you have received any consideration, financial or otherwise, in relation to the article that was written about Keryx and Aeterna Zentaris (AEZS) last week?"Ratain responded to Dean: "I have no financial interest. My relationship with Mr. Feuerstein [that's me, again] is strictly academic, and emanates from a shared interest in clinical trial design. In that sense, the perifosine phase 2 trial was flawed." That's a nice segue into a discussion of the published results from a phase II study of perifosine in colon cancer. Many of you wanted to know whether we considered this study -- which purports to demonstrate a survival benefit favoring perifosine over placebo -- into our analysis. Keryx and its supporters believe data from the phase II study bolster the chances for perifosine's success in the ongoing phase III study.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV