IBM's crucial software and services businesses also enjoyed a strong third quarter, with revenue rising 13% and 8%, respectively. The tech bellwether has shifted its focus toward these high-margin areas in recent years, aiming to open up fresh revenue streams in a market saturated with its server hardware.
Brad Zelnick, an analyst at Macquarie Capital, cited IBM's software business, in particular as a standout during the third quarter. "Growth engines including growth markets, business analytics, smarter planet and cloud all appear on track," he explained, in a note.
IBM's news seemed to weigh on shares of Intel and Juniper Networks (JNPR), which both report after Tuesday's closing bell, in the early going, but both stocks were in positive territory in recent trades.
-- Written by James Rogers in New York.>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV