Hospira said it expects 2011 adjusted earnings of $2.95 to $3.05 a share. Over the summer, the company said it expected earnings of as much as $4 a share.
"While recently launched product sales continue to drive top-line growth, we were extremely disappointed in the third quarter by developments related to our quality-improvement initiatives that resulted in a significant slowdown of production and an associated impact on our operating performance," said F. Michael Ball, Hospira's CEO, in a statement.
The company said it expects third-quarter adjusted earnings of 66 cents a share on sales of $977 million, far lower than analysts' estimates.Hospira blamed the slowdown on quality actions it took at its manufacturing plant in Rocky Mount, N.C., in response to a Food and Drug Administration warning letter in 2010. Hospira shares were down $7.21, or $19.3%, to $30.15. The stock touched a 52-week low of $29.16 earlier Tuesday. Its 52-week high is $60.49. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV