The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
By Lisa Springer
NEW YORK (StreetAuthority) -- Since July 22, a global market rout has caused -- almost daily -- price swings of up to 300 basis points in the S&P 500. Such market volatility and fears of an imminent recession have triggered a "flight to quality" that has even the most stalwart investors seeking safe havens.
At one time, U.S. Treasuries were considered the ultimate in safe investing, mainly because of the U.S.'s "AAA" credit rating. The "AAA" rating is reserved for bond issuers with pristine balance sheets and is an extremely rare status. Only a few countries and companies qualify for this distinction, which is as close as you can get to guaranteed creditworthiness.Unfortunately, since Standard & Poor's downgraded the U.S credit rating from "AAA" to "AA+" in the beginning of August, U.S. Treasuries have lost some of their luster. But despite this tough economic market, there are still a handful of "AAA"-rated companies whose stocks are worth owning for their safety and credit stability. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook. The fact that there are only a few names with the "perfect" credit rating is not only a sign that no new companies have been added to the prestigious "AAA" list in years, but also that several have been downgraded. Standard & Poor's lowered Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-B) to "AA+" in August, and did the same with General Electric (GE) and Pfizer (PFE) two years ago. Today, the number of "AAA"-rated companies in the S&P stands at just four. And in this uncertain market, these are exactly the type of stocks I'm looking for.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV