BOSTON ( TheStreet Ratings) -- VMware (VMW) posted strong financial results in the third quarter after the stock-market close Monday, yet said 2012 might be challenging, given global economic concerns.
That's led to dissension among sell-side analysts.
Goldman Sachs (GS) analyst Heather Bellini, who had a "buy" rating and a $120 target on VMware, added the stock to her firm's so-called Conviction Buy List of favored companies. Bellini notes in her report: "We believe this remains a name that has one of the best growth profiles in enterprise tech for 2012 and will remain a share of wallet gainer despite a challenging macro environment."
Kash Rangan at
Bank of America
(BAC) maintains his "buy" rating and a $104 price target. He downplays management's acknowledgment of global economic risks, noting that "VMW is not seeing project cancellations/deal push outs but
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV