NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The AES Corp. (AES), Calpine (CPN), Covanta (CVA), Spectra Energy (SE), NRG Energy (NRG) and UGI (UGI) are six utility stocks that have 30% mean upside potential based on 12-month price target, according to analysts.
Sixty-two percent of analysts polled by Bloomberg affirm a buy rating for these stocks. Investors can also consider The Southern Company (SO), Duke Energy (DUK) and Dominion Resources (D), which have appreciated 11% to 14% in the last year, however, these stocks have limited upside potential, as per analysts.
6. UGI (UGI) distributes and markets energy products like natural gas, propane and butane, besides generating electricity.Net sales for the second quarter of 2011 were $471 million, up 18.7% from $396.6 million in the year-ago quarter. Net loss stood at $7.2 million, vs. $3.4 million profit in the same quarter prior year as the weather nationwide was slightly warmer than normal. On the third-quarter results, Lon R. Greenberg, CEO of UGI, said, "Improved results from our Gas Utility and AmeriGas were not enough to offset an $11.3 million decrease in earnings from our International Propane businesses resulting principally from extraordinarily warm spring weather in Europe."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV