NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The AES Corp. (AES - Get Report), Calpine (CPN - Get Report), Covanta (CVA - Get Report), Spectra Energy (SE - Get Report), NRG Energy (NRG - Get Report) and UGI (UGI) are six utility stocks that have 30% mean upside potential based on 12-month price target, according to analysts.
Sixty-two percent of analysts polled by Bloomberg affirm a buy rating for these stocks. Investors can also consider The Southern Company (SO), Duke Energy (DUK) and Dominion Resources (D), which have appreciated 11% to 14% in the last year, however, these stocks have limited upside potential, as per analysts.
6. UGI (UGI) distributes and markets energy products like natural gas, propane and butane, besides generating electricity.Net sales for the second quarter of 2011 were $471 million, up 18.7% from $396.6 million in the year-ago quarter. Net loss stood at $7.2 million, vs. $3.4 million profit in the same quarter prior year as the weather nationwide was slightly warmer than normal. On the third-quarter results, Lon R. Greenberg, CEO of UGI, said, "Improved results from our Gas Utility and AmeriGas were not enough to offset an $11.3 million decrease in earnings from our International Propane businesses resulting principally from extraordinarily warm spring weather in Europe."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts