10 Things Still Made in America
Many kitchen appliances are still being cooked up in the U.S.
KitchenAid mixers have been made in Greenville, Ohio, since 1941, at a factory employing nearly 700 people.
The mixer itself predates that plant by decades. Introduced in 1919, the product greatly expanded its sales in 1955 with a variety of color options. Today the mixers -- with a distinctive silhouette that is actually trademarked -- comes in 40 colors.Building on the popularity of its iconic mixer, the company has since branched out into a wide variety of kitchen equipment, including dishwashers, cookware, ranges, refrigerators and even wine cellars, the majority of which are made in America, as are many (but not all) of the products sold by its parent company, Whirlpool (WHR). According to the company, Whirlpool employs more U.S. workers than any other appliance manufacturer and "the United States continues to be the company's largest market in terms of revenue, manufacturing presence and number of employees -- more than 20,000 workers nationwide." Also made in America are Viking products, a line of ovens, ranges, refrigerators, dishwashers, cookware and small appliances. The company, founded in 1989, not only has its headquarters in Greenwood, Miss.; it also maintains four manufacturing plants, a distribution center, a cooking school and its own restaurant. Also built in the U.S. are the refrigeration units and freezers made by Sub-Zero. Last October, GE (GE) announced it would invest $432 million to bolster U.S.-made refrigeration products with design and manufacturing centers in Louisville; Bloomington, Ind.; Decatur, Ala.; and Selmer, Tenn. As many as 500 jobs could be added through the expansion by 2014, according to the company. Also being made by GE in America are water heaters, washers and dryers and dishwashers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV