10 Things Still Made in America
Given the global marketplace, it is hard to pin a specific "nationality" on the majority of cars. Almost every vehicle on the road is a multinational mutt of parts and labor.
Each year, Cars.com releases its "American-Made Index," a rundown of vehicles made with U.S. labor and at least 75% domestic parts.
Its ranking, released this past summer, included: Toyota (TM) Camry (80% domestic parts, assembled in Kentucky and Indiana); Honda (HMC) Accord (80% parts, assembled in Ohio and Alabama); Chevrolet (GM) Malibu (75% parts, assembled in Kansas); Ford (F) Explorer (85% parts, assembled in Chicago); Honda Odyssey (75% parts, assembled in Alabama); Toyota Sienna (75% parts, assembled in Indiana); Jeep Wrangler (78% for two-door, 79% for four-door, assembled in Ohio); Chevrolet Traverse (75% parts, assembled in Michigan); Toyota Tundra (80% parts, assembled in Texas); and the GMC Acadia (assembled in Lansing, Mich. using 75% domestic parts).Also made in America is the high-end Tesla (TSLA) Roadster, a $110,000-plus sportscar by a Palo Alto, Calif., company. The electric sports car, although assembled in Menlo Park, Calif., uses a body imported from the U.K. Its forthcoming S Series sedan, which will sell for more than $57,000 will be built entirely in the U.S. -- a good thing, given that Tesla was the recipient of a low-interest, $465 million loan from the U.S. Department of Energy to aid development of the car. -- Written by Joe Mont in Boston. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joe Mont. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/josephmont. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV