10 Things Still Made in America
In a role reversal, a surprisingly successful export from the U.S. has been selling chopsticks to China.
Georgia Chopsticks, based in Americus, Ga., is the only U.S.-based maker of the ancient wooden utensils.
Because of a timber shortage among the trees used for chopsticks, many of the 2 million sets made each day in Georgia using native poplar and sweet gum trees are shipped overseas.In response to its recent success, the company plans to boost its production capability to as many as 10 million pairs a day over the next year. Even with that increase, demand could be massively larger if the Chinese wood shortage persists. Each year, Chinese manufacturers carve out some 63 billion chopsticks a year; Japan, another potential marketplace, uses about 23 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV