NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- "Today's toxic market action has nothing to do with individual stocks," Jim Cramer told his "Mad Money" TV show viewers Monday. He said that's only sin today was being part of a market that trades in unison.
Cramer recounted how early this morning things were looking up, with rumors of a fast-track European bailout deal. The futures were raised even more by good earnings from Halliburton (HAL), Wells Fargo (WFC) and even Citigroup (C).Cramer said that Apple (AAPL), a stock which he owns for his charitable trust, Action Alerts PLUS, was touting record iPhone sales and all looked strong for the markets. But then, he said, in an instant, new negative comments from Europe emerged and all was lost. The futures tanked in just minutes, and everything that was set to open higher reversed course. The futures, said Cramer, brought everything down. Cramer said it's not that Halliburton's quarter wasn't terrific, or that Citigroup's numbers weren't good, or that Apple's number weren't amazing. He said it's not that earnings can't be trusted, it's that the futures are simply too powerful, and they're set in Europe.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV