8 Things You Should Shred Right Now
Credit card convenience checks
Credit card companies often send so-called "convenience checks" to cardholders -- basically checks you can use to borrow against your line of credit for quick cash. Needless to say, you don't want these to end up in the wrong hands.
"The worst thing people get in the mail are these convenience checks," Neiser says. "It looks like a credit card bill, but if you open it up, there are checks in there that are live loans ... that to me is very dangerous."
If you don't plan on using these, shred them immediately.
Just because you write "void" on it doesn't mean a canceled check can't be a ticking time bomb. Remember, your account and routing numbers are listed on the bottom of every check.
Sometimes you need to cancel a debit or credit card -- maybe you want to rein in your spending, or you're leaving your bank, or you suspect the number was stolen. So do you need to shred the old one? "Theoretically it's not supposed to be problem, but we recommend that people cut through the magnetic stripe, as there's encoded information on there," Blank says. "Also, you don't want people to know where you bank." If your shredder can't handle plastic, Blank recommends cutting it into four pieces, then throwing the parts into at least two different trash bags. Hey, you can't be too careful. >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV