One Area That Shouldn't Change
Cook will undoubtedly maintain Apple's iron grip over its supplier ecosystem, aiming to ensure that the tech giant gets the components it needs for future product launches.
With a coveted spot inside, say a new iPhone, or a new iPad up for grabs, suppliers have to jump to Apple's tune. Just because a chipmaker is in, say, one version of the iPhone, it doesn't guarantee a place in the next generation of the product.
While the company's supply partners are bound by an omertà-style code of silence toward the gadget giant, "teardowns" of the latest gear shed some light on the component makers riding the Apple wave. Power amplifier specialist TriQuint (TQNT), for example, has been cited as the big winner within Apple's new iPhone 4S.The Hillsboro, Ore.-based company, which provided components for the original iPhone 4, did not feature in the Verizon (VZ) version of the product but is back in the latest iPhone. A teardown performed by the iFixit.com Web site, reveals two chips from power amplifier specialist TriQuint within the new iPhone 4S, sending the company's shares surging last week. --Written by James Rogers in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV