Clean Up the Supply Chain
Cook, a logistics guru, is already facing calls to turn his attention to Apple's suppliers, particularly working conditions at some of the company's contractors.
TheStreet reader Stephen Nuchia, for example, responding to a question on Cook's strategy that was posted on Facebook, urged the new Apple CEO to "establish humane working conditions throughout the supply chain."
Apple has also had to defend itself against alleged pollution by suppliers that make its products in China.A spokesman for the tech giant, though, told TheStreet that Apple is committed to "driving the highest standards of social responsibility" throughout its supply chain. "We require that our suppliers provide safe working conditions, treat workers with dignity and respect, and use environmentally responsible manufacturing processes wherever Apple products are made," he explained, in an email. "Suppliers commit to the Apple Supplier Code of Conduct as a condition of doing business with us, and we monitor their compliance through a rigorous program of onsite factory audits." Apple, unlike most tech companies, also publishes an annual report on "supplier responsibility." In this year's report, Apple noted that it extended its supplier monitoring program and has also been working aggressively to prevent the hiring of underage workers. Audits conducted by Apple in 2010, however, found 91 cases of underage labor within the supply chain, according to the report. An inspection by Apple in 2009 had found evidence of 11 underage workers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV