Could Cook add new technologies to the iPhone that were shunned by his predecessor? Quite possibly, according to In-Stat's Nogee, who think that this would further differentiate the phone from its competitors.
"The phone industry is tough -- it's getting more competitive now with Android and Windows phone coming out," he told TheStreet.
Specifically, Nogeea think that near field communication (NFC), a swiping technology used for mobile payments, would be a smart move for Apple. Rival Google (GOOG), for example, is using NFC for its eponymous Google Wallet smartphone app, which has the backing of Visa (V), Citigroup (C) and MasterCard (MA).Handset makers Nokia (NOK), Samsung and LG also have jumped on the NFC bandwagon. "There's interesting things in near field communication technology and electronic purchases with the phone," explained Nogee. With consumers looking to use their phones as mobile wallets, there were rumors that NFC technology would form part of Apple's latest iPhone announcement, although this did not materialize. It's not just NFC, though, that could be high on Cook's agenda, according to the analyst. The Apple chief should push exciting new display technologies such as Pico Projectors, which are miniature, laser-based image projectors, he said. Apple may already be on this path, if a recent patent application from the Cupertino, Calif.-based firm is anything to go by. The filing describes a technology that shares images between projected displays on different devices, hinting at mini projectors for future iOS offerings. The technology will even detect multitouch gestures on the projected displays, according to the application, a space age feature that would undoubtedly wow Apple's many fanboys.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV