CEO Vikram Pandit said the bank will continue to bet on emerging market growth, as developed market growth will likely be slow for years. "Regardless of any cyclical slowdowns in the emerging markets, we think the secular trends such as trade and rising consumption in the emerging markets will persevere and we will pace our investments accordingly," he said.
Pandit emphasized the "de-risked" profile of the bank, in his presentation, ostensibly speaking to investors who still view the bank as a risky play. "We've completely revamped our risk profile, risk approach, and most importantly, our risk culture," he said.
Citigroup disclosed more details on its European exposure at the gross and net level, including exposures top France and Belgium, along with breakdowns on sovereign, corporate and financial institution basis. Gross funded exposure to GIIPS stood at $20.6 billion, while net exposure stood at $7.1 billion. Gross exposure to France and Belgium stood at $14.4 billion, while net funded exposure was $2 billion as of September 30.
The CEO also reiterated his intention to return capital to shareholders starting 2012, subject to regulatory capital and said he was confident they would achieve a Basel III Tier 1 Capital ratio of 8% to 9% by end of 2012.--Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV