Citigroup earnings updated with more management commentary, information throughout.
- Citigroup reported a profit of $3.8 billion or $1.23 per share.
- Revenues rose to $20.8 billion
- Analysts expected an EPS of 81 cents per share on revenues of $19.25 billion
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Citigroup (C) beat third quarter analyst expectations, reporting a net income jump of 72%, driven by an accounting gain, strong international consumer banking operations and continuing improvements in credit quality.
The bank said net income rose to $3.8 billion or $1.23 per share in the third quarter compared to $2.2 billion or 72 cents per share in the year-ago period. An accounting quirk that enables banks to report a gain from the falling value of their own debt added $1.9 billion to Citi's pre-tax revenues and 39 cents to the earnings per share.
|Citigroup CEO Vikram Pandit|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV