NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- There's nothing like widespread allegations of fraud and accounting irregularities to diminish investor interest in a particular sector, and that's what's happened with Chinese companies with public listings in the United States.
In fact, the buzz has gotten so faint about China that one of the investment firms known for its coverage of companies from the region, Rodman & Renshaw, is reportedly shutting down its China research operations.
Dow Jones News Service, citing an undisclosed person familiar with the matter, said Rodham & Renshaw plans to announce the closure on Monday because the business has become "hard to monetize."
The firm is a unit of Rodham & Renshaw Capital Group (RODM), whose shares closed Friday at 94 cents, up 7 cents. A company spokesperson wasn't immediately available to comment for this story.The Justice Department and the Securities and Exchange Commission are both investigating alleged accounting irregularities at Chinese companies, and a number of fraud allegations have sunk Chinese companies that secured public listings in the U.S. through reverse takeovers, as documented in TheStreet's The Shanghai Numbers investigative report. Rodham & Renshaw's Web site still features its research on China-based companies. Among the stocks the firm covers are Advanced Battery Technologies (ABAT), Origin Agritech (SEED), Sina Corp. (SINA), and Zhongpin (HOGS). The firm lists four analysts as covering China-based stocks. -- Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV