PPD Announces 2011 PPD Beach2Battleship Triathlon Heroes
PPD, Inc. (Nasdaq: PPDI) today announced the 2011 PPD Heroes team, featuring cancer survivors and medical specialists competing as triathletes in the PPD Beach2Battleship Triathlon on Oct. 29. The PPD Heroes are helping raise public awareness about the value of participating in clinical trials in the development of life-changing medicines.
For people facing illness, participating in a clinical trial can offer new opportunities for cutting-edge treatment and close medical supervision. Increasing the number of patients who participate in clinical trials can help accelerate research into new medical treatments.
“We are proud to sponsor this premier triathlon, and we are pleased to introduce the 2011 team of PPD Heroes,” said Ray Hill, CEO of PPD. “We look forward to welcoming them to Wilmington, home of PPD’s global headquarters, and cheering them on during race day. They are an inspiration to us all.”
The 2011 team of PPD Heroes includes:
- Kristen Adelman, a four-time non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma survivor who participated in a clinical trial that she says saved her life. “The care I received was the absolute best,” she said, “and the team of doctors and nurses was incredible.”
- Claudio Battaglini, Ph.D., a professor conducting research on the effects of exercise training in mitigating side effects of anti-cancer treatments. “Without clinical trials,” he said, “it is virtually impossible to test new interventions to improve the quality of our lives.”
- Wendy Chioji, who was diagnosed with stage II breast cancer and participated in a clinical trial in part to help reduce the suffering of others in the future. “Before I even knew if I would get better,” she said, “participating in a clinical trial was a way for me to pay it forward.”
- Roseann Dougherty, who at age 10 lost her mother to brain cancer and went on to become an oncology nurse and start a nonprofit organization to provide healing resources for cancer patients. “Clinical trials can provide hope and new treatments,” she said.
- Mary Kreis, Ph.D., who learned she was pregnant and had melanoma during a cross-country bike ride. Through a clinical trial, she underwent surgeries during her pregnancy and gave birth to a healthy baby girl named Viva to symbolize living life to the fullest. “Without clinical trials,” Kreis said, “my cancer may have been missed."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV