GLENDALE, Calif. ( TheStreet) -- DineEquity (DIN) agreed to sell 17 company-operated Applebee's restaurants as part of its ongoing effort to turn around the bar-and-grill chain through refranchising and other methods.
DineEquity, the parent company of Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar and IHOP restaurant chains, said Thursday it would sell the 17 restaurants in the mid-South region to Apple Investors Group for $15.9 million.
Apple Investors already own and operate 27 Applebee's restaurants in New Mexico and Virginia.
The deal is expected to close in the first quarter, reducing DineEquity's sale-leaseback-related financing obligations by $11.3 million.DineEquity already has sold 259 Applebee's restaurants after acquiring the chain in 2007. In August, DineEquity posted weaker-than-expected second-quarter earnings of $348,000, down 97.5% year over year, as IHOP restaurant sales dragged, overshadowing its Applebee's turnaround. Revenue fell 21.1% to $268.3 million, also missing expectations. Investors were pleased with DineEquity's news of the Applebee's sale, and bid the stock up 4.3% to $42.96 in afternoon trading Thursday. Still, the stock remains nearly 14% lower this year.
-- Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @miriamsmarket.
>>See our new stock quote page.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV