Huntsman's Boycott of Nevada Could Win New Hampshire Voters
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Jon Huntsman's campaign tactic to move toward the center, away from Mitt Romney and Rick Perry, could help him grab a lead in Romney's supposedly sure-thing state of New Hampshire.
This is why it likely won't surprise some that Huntsman's campaign threatened on Thursday to boycott Nevada in the primaries if the state holds its caucuses on Jan. 14, before New Hampshire holds its primary. New Hampshire traditionally holds the first primary but it has yet to announce a date.
|Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman|
The former Utah governor has canvassed New Hampshire more than any other state as his campaign is likely aware that state law allows for an open primary -- which means any registered voter, regardless of party affiliation, can vote in the 2012 primary.
"We call on the other campaigns to join us, especially Governor Romney's campaign given their involvement in moving Nevada's date forward," Matt David, Huntsman's campaign manager, said in a statement.Huntsman's motive is to show New Hampshire voters that he is looking out for their interests. "It makes sense for Huntsman to issue this challenge," Fergus Cullen, former New Hampshire Republican Party chairman, told TheStreet. "New Hampshire is not happy to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV