Cut RIM Some Slack on BlackBerry Disruptions
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- By now of course, nearly everyone has heard about the several days of the largely unexplained worldwide outages affecting BlackBerry services around the world.
I was just listening to the RIM (RIMM) press conference to try and get a little more clarity about what happened. Here are my thoughts/comments about this:
First, I take them at their word that it was a hardware failure of what was supposed to be a fully redundant core switch. Unfortunately, as good as we think we are at designing redundant systems, there are numerous examples of such systems not being truly redundant and failing massively. What did surprise me, however, is that it took so long to rectify the problem.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV