NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- HCA Holdings (HCA), Thermo Fisher (TMO), Covidien (COV), Mednax Inc. (MD), Bio-rad Laboratories (BIO), Pharmasset. (VRUS), UnitedHealth Group (UNH) and United Therapeutics Corporation (UTHR) have average buying rating of 83%, according to a Bloomberg consensus.
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries (TEVA), a leading generic player, recently won U.S. anti-trust approval for a deal to acquire specialty drug maker Cephalon (CEPH). In the preceding quarter, Thermo Fisher (TMO), a serving science major, reported completing the acquisition of Phadia, a leader in blood tests, in a deal valued $3.5 billion, primarily to boost its presence in high-growth specialty diagnostic regions. Several pharma majors with strong balance sheets, relatively less leverage and higher cash generating capacities can consider acquisitions as the segment's valuations have declined in the last couple of months.
We have identified eight health care stocks that, according to analysts, could outperform their peers and the broader market indices. These stocks have upside potential of 20% to 38% with a mean upside value of 30%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV