Veolia Energy North America, a leading operator and developer of energy efficient solutions, announced that SourceOne, its energy management and consulting services subsidiary, has completed a major project with the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) to improve the efficiency and overall performance of the Deer Island Wastewater Treatment Plant. The Deer Island plant is considered the centerpiece of MWRA’s $3.8 billion program to protect Boston Harbor against pollution from Metropolitan Boston’s sewer systems.
“As a large energy consumer, MWRA’s Deer Island Wastewater Treatment Plant is a perfect candidate to identify and implement cost-effective solutions to drive efficiency and increase performance,” said Vincent Martin, President of SourceOne. “The MWRA has fully embraced sustainability and energy efficiency by implementing energy savings measures as well as Distributed Generation projects. Deer Island uses several DG technologies and is a great example of how our technology can help meet customer needs.”
The Deer Island energy-efficient infrastructure upgrades include:
- A waste-to-energy boiler plant that uses methane from the wastewater treatment process to generate steam for space heating and treatment process requirements
- One 18,000 kW back pressure steam turbine generator (BPSTG)
- Two 600 kW and one 100 kW wind turbine generators
- Two 1,000 kW hydro turbine generators
- 700+ kW photovoltaic paneling on facility rooftops
In addition to its existing upgrades, MWRA identified an opportunity to improve efficiency by modifying the existing BPSTG (back pressure steam turbine generator) to a condensing unit, yielding more power for each pound of steam generated. However, this solution required delivery of steam to the plant for its use and to supply a heat loop. SourceOne worked with the MWRA to install a new 1.1 MW BPSTG that would exhaust at 15 psig and serve the plant and the heat loop, while generating additional power.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts