Standard & Poor's analyst Esther Kwon was encouraged by the company's reiteration of its 2011 earnings guidance, particularly as the boost from foreign exchange was less robust. Kwon maintained a buy rating on the stock but cut her price target by $1 to $70.
Beverage volume in the Americas was "lackluster" because of a decline in sales of carbonated soft drinks, Kwon said, although this was somewhat offset by gains in non-carbonated drinks.Pepsi's 13% jump in total revenue, to $17.58 billion, was led by 33% growth in emerging markets, helped in part by the company's recent acquisition of Will-Bill-Dann, a Russian dairy and juice company.
On an adjusted basis, Pepsi earned $2 billion, or $1.31 per share, in its recent quarter, topping expectations by a penny. In July , Pepsi lowered its guidance for the year, citing soft consumer demand in developed markets like North America, while input costs for commodities and fuel were rising. To offset these rising costs, Pepsi said it would implement previously announced incremental price increases. On Wednesday, the company maintained its forecast for high-single-digit core EPS growth from its fiscal 2010 profit of $4.13 a share. In July, analysts had expected Pepsi to earn $4.50 a share for fiscal 2011, but the consensus has since dropped to $4.41.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV