The bottom line is that big oil has likely made a mint of money in the third quarter, not significantly different from the massive amounts they coined in the second quarter and fantastically better than their results in the third quarter of 2010.
And although complex "upstream", "midstream" and "downstream" components of the reports that Chevron, Exxon, Conoco and others are about to deliver will cloud the waters, the still relatively high price of oil will continue to be the most striking and profitable piece of their earnings profiles.
All will handily beat expectations in this quarter, and I expect the shares to pop.
So even though these shares are not at their sweet spot right now, investors shouldn't fear earnings misses.At the time of publication, Dicker owned shares of Chevron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV