New CEO Meg Whitman and the company's board haven't made a final decision, according to some of the people, the Journal said. Whitman has said she would like to make a decision by the end of the month.
In August, HP, then run by Leo Apotheker, began exploring " strategic alternatives" for its Personal Systems Group.
But new analyses, the Journal said, suggest the company is better off keeping the division. Separating the PC division could diminish HP's buying power with component makers because H-P would lose economies of scale, according to the Journal."The analysis is underway now," an HP spokeswoman told the newspaper. "We said we would explore all options and that Meg would make a decision based on the data." -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV