Updated from 4:25 p.m. ET for added content about the company's outlook, latest stock price.
The Dow component attributed the performance, which represented a sequential decline in both earnings and revenue, to lower metal prices and European market weakness.
The New York-based company reported earnings from continuing operations of $172 million, or 15 cents a share, for its fiscal third quarter ended Sept. 30 on revenue of $6.42 billion. The performance was better than a year-ago profit of $61 million, or 6 cents a share, but down from second-quarter earnings of $326 million, or 28 cents a share.The average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters was for a profit of 22 cents a share on revenue of $6.24 billion in the September period. "Aluminum prices fell in the third quarter, but most markets continued to grow," said Klaus Kleinfeld, the company's chairman and CEO, in a statement. "With the exception of Europe, we saw growth in our end markets, though at a slower rate than in the first half, as confidence in the global recovery faded." Alcoa said that increasing demand in China would offset declines in Europe, which the company also highlighted as the reason it raised its 2011 growth projection in the region to 17%, up two percentage points. Alcoa shares were last quoted at $9.78, down 5.1%, on volume of more than 4.6 million, according to Nasdaq.com. Year-over-year Alcoa said that it saw strong revenue growth for its end markets thanks to its commercial transportation, automotive and aerospace segments. Analysts who spoke with TheStreet correctly predicted positive results in the company's
>To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV