What's in a Name? For Stock Tickers, Plenty.
Putting some energy into it
The iPath Dow Jones-UBS Natural Gas Subindex Total Return ETN is a mouthful, but its intentionally misspelled ticker, (GAZ), tells you all you need to know.
Depending on what commodity or energy specialty you want a fund to track, the tickers can guide you right to them. There is (OIL) for iPath S&P GSCI Crude Oil Total Return, (WOOD) for the iShares S&P Global Timber & Forestry Index Fund and (KOL) for the Market Vectors Coal ETF.
Green-energy advocates can similarly check into (GRID) for the First Trust NASDAQ Clean Edge Smart Grid Infrastructure Index Fund, (TAN) as in exposure to the sun and the Claymore MAC Global Solar Energy Index ETF and (FAN) for the First Trust ISE Global Wind Energy Index.-- Written by Joe Mont in Boston. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joe Mont. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/josephmont. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV