Starbucks announced in January that it entered into a non-binding memorandum of understanding with India's Tata Coffee to collaborate on sourcing and roasting green coffee beans in Tata's Coorg, India-based facility, as well as jointly explore "the development of Starbucks retail stores in associated retail outlets and hotels."
Reports this week suggest a joint venture of retail stores could be announced within the next several weeks, sparking investor excitement at Starbucks' potential growth in India's emerging economy.
Starbucks spokeswoman Lisa Passe said the company hopes to make the announcement soon after moving ahead with talks and planning with Tata. "This
India is just one piece of Starbucks' plans for global expansion as U.S. market demand slows down. A major Latin American franchisor of Starbucks stores said Monday it plans to open around 300 stores in Mexico and Argentina over the next five years. Alsea, the franchisor who made the statement, also operates Domino's Pizza (DPZ) and Burger King stores in Latin American markets. Starbucks has laid plans to expand rapidly in China, a booming market with growing consumer discretionary dollars, by tripling its store locations in the country. Other Asian nations as well such as smaller markets like Guatemala can also expect more Starbucks stores . The company said in July it intends to generate half of its revenue from markets outside the U.S. in the near future.
Starbucks shares were 1% higher at $41.33 at midday on Tuesday. -- Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV