Union: American Airlines Overstates Labor Cost Gap
DALLAS TheStreet) -- A key component of the AMR> (AMR) recovery scenario is that contract improvements at competitors will lead to convergence with American Airlines' labor costs, which the carrier says are the highest in the airline industry.
American's flight attendants aren't buying it. As far as flight attendant costs are concerned, convergence in labor costs is already here, they say, a result of a series of contract improvements made by American's competitors.
"The cost disparity had turned to zero because of the contract increases," said Dan Akins, a consultant who serves as economic advisor for the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, in an interview. APFA represents about 18,000 American flight attendants. By mid-2011, "the flight attendant contract costs of other carriers were equivalent to those at American," Akins said.
"The conundrum for me is that American's cost disparity relative to their competitors has been shrinking, yet their performance in terms of profit margins has fallen further and further behind their competitors," he said.Nevertheless Akins said he does not see an imminent bankruptcy, despite recent investor concerns that resulted in an
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV