Analysts expect Pepsi to have earned a profit of $2.08 billion, or $1.30 a share, in its fiscal third quarter ended Sept. 30, up 9.5% from $1.9 billion, or an adjusted $1.22 a share, earned in the year-earlier quarter. Revenue is expected to have grown 10.9% to $17.19 billion from $15.5 billion. Pepsi's report is due ahead of the opening bell Wednesday.
In July , Pepsi lowered its guidance for the year citing soft consumer demand in developed markets like North America, while input costs for commodities and fuel were rising. To offset these rising costs, Pepsi said it would implement previously announced incremental price increases. It forecast high-single-digit EPS growth on a core, 52-week basis, compared with a fiscal 2010 profit of $4.13 a share. Analysts at the time expected Pepsi to earn $4.50 a share for fiscal 2011, but the consensus has since dropped to $4.41. While demand in developed markets has waned somewhat, the opposite is true in emerging markets like Brazil, Russia and India where disposable income among consumers is growing. Pepsi's exclusive contract with Yum! Brands (YUM) to serve Pepsi products in its restaurants also helps, particularly in the fast-growing market of China. Yum, which operates Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC restaurants, last week matched quarterly profit expectations as continued strong performance in China drove year-over-year revenue growth of more than 14%.
As of earlier this year , Pepsi had been able to manage the risk of rising commodity costs better than Coca-Cola (KO). Pepsi had turned to improved operational efficiencies and price increases to help offset those costs, but Chief Financial Officer Hugh Johnston conceded in April that pricing in the first half of the year "has not been what we would have liked or expected."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV