The company received a slew of backlash last month when it announced it would split up the company into two units -- one dedicated to its streaming service and the other for its DVD-by-mail business. Subscribers criticized the move as convoluted and clunky for users of both services and threatened to cancel their memberships.
On top of this, Netflix also failed to secure the Twitter handle for Qwikster, which was already owned by someone who refers to himself as "Elmo" and Tweets about smoking pot.Prior to the split-up announcement, Netflix already was contending with irate subscribers over a price hike and announcement that Liberty Starz (LSTZA)content will no longer be available streaming next year. The split-up, it seemed, was the last straw for subscribers. As a result, Netflix said it will keep the company intact, with just one Web site, one account and one password to access both rental ques. "It is clear that for many of our members two Web sites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs," Chief Executive Reed Hastings said on the company's blog. Netflix's quick abandonment of its DVD rebranding is reminiscent of several past branding blunders gone awry. Here's a look at some of the most memorable rebranding disasters.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV