The gadget maker announced on Monday that the iPhone 4S topped 1 million orders in the 24 hours following the device's pre-order debut on Friday. The company's previous record for first-day pre-orders was 600,000, held by the iPhone 4.
|Apple's iPhone 4S|
"We are blown away with the incredible customer response to the iPhone 4," said Phillip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, in a statement. "The first day pre-orders for iPhone 4S have been the most for any new product that Apple has ever launched."
Unveiled last week, the iPhone 4S offers a faster processor and better camera than its predecessor, the iPhone 4, and contains both GSM and CDMA antennas, enabling the device to run on U.S. and European networks. Apple also added Sprint (S) to its list of U.S. iPhone partners.Pre-launch rumors that Apple was planning a completely new phone, the iPhone 5, however, proved untrue, much to the disappointment of many Apple zealots. Consumer appetite for the souped-up iPhone, though, is clearly healthy. In addition to the record pre-orders, more than 50% of respondents to TheStreet's recent iPhone poll said that they can't wait to get their hands on the iPhone 4S. Brian White, an analyst at Ticonderoga Securities, predicted earlier this month that Apple's latest device will blow past the 1.7 million iPhone 4's sold in the first three days following its launch last year. Apple shares rose $9.70, or 2.62%, to $379..50 on Monday, outpacing the uptick in tech stocks that saw the Nasdaq gain 1.78%. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV