News Corp buys MySpace
Sale price: $580 million
In 2005, as Myspace was just starting to lose its mojo to Facebook and was reduced to the Web's largest depository of pre-teen poetry and glittery unicorn GIFs, it found a savior.
News Corp (NWS) -- led by no less an Ashton-like hipster as Rupert Murdoch -- acquired Myspace and its parent company Intermix Media for $580 million.
Things looked good for a while, and until 2008 Myspace held on to its place as the top social networking platform in the world. Then Facebook finally blew past it in Web traffic.Murdoch reportedly grew increasingly frustrated that the site failed to meet revenue projections and that it never materialized as an entertainment hub. Worst of all, it was adding little or no value in pushing Fox-produced content. Massive layoffs began in 2009 and continued until the company was sold in June of this year to Specific Media (who counts among its owners the far more Ashton-like Justin Timberlake) for nearly $35 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV