WASHINGTON (TheStreet) -- State regulators shuttered two banks Friday night, bringing this year's total number of bank failures to 76.
State regulators closed The RiverBank of Wyoming, Minn., which had $417.4 million in total assets and $379.3 million in deposits.The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. was appointed receiver and sold the failed bank to Central Bank of Stillwater, Minn. The agency agreed to cover 80% of losses on $339.3 million in assets acquired by Central Bank and estimated the cost of The RiverBank's failure to the deposit insurance fund would be $71.4 million. The failed bank's six branches were set to reopen Saturday as Central Bank branches.
Sun Security BankThe Missouri Division of Finance shut down Sun Security Bank of Ellington, which had $355.9 million in total assets and $290.4 million in deposits. The FDIC was appointed receiver and sold the failed institution to Great Southern Bank of Springfield, Mo. The acquiring bank is the main subsidiary of Great Southern Bancorp (GSBC). The FDIC agreed to cover 80% of losses on $351.9 of the failed bank's assets acquired by Great Southern Bank and estimated the cost of Sun Security Bank's failure to the deposit insurance fund would be $118.3 million. Sun Security Bank's 27 offices were scheduled to reopen during normal business hours as Great Southern Bank branches.
Thorough Bank Failure CoverageThe RiverBank was the second Minnesota institution to fail this year. Sun Security Bank was the first 2011 bank closure in Missouri. Georgia leads all states with 19 failures this year, followed by Florida, with 11 failures, and Illinois, with seven bank closures. All 398 bank and thrift closures since the beginning of 2008 are detailed in TheStreet's interactive bank failure map:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV