The move could help Sony gain in its battle against Apple (AAPL) and Samsung. Japan's Sony has been hurt by its disparate offerings of mobile gadgets and online content -- tablets, games devices and other consumer electronics are offered under the Sony brand, while smartphones are offered under Sony Ericsson, Reuters noted.
Sony and Ericsson have been talking for weeks about the future of the joint venture. They must decide this month if they will renew their 10-year-old agreement, two industry sources told Reuters.
A source told Reuters that Sony was discussing a buyout.An analyst at JPMorgan in Tokyo told Reuters the deal could be worth upwards of $1.3 billion. The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday the talks between Sony and Ericsson were ongoing and could break up at any time. Both companies declines to comment on the discussions. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV