"Clearly, we are highly disappointed with our revenue for the third quarter," said Jay Flatley, the company's president and CEO, in a statement. "In the quarter, we saw what we believe to be an unprecedented slowdown in purchasing due to uncertainties in research funding and overall economic conditions, as well as a temporary excess of sequencing capacity in the market."
Flatley continued: "We expect these conditions to continue through at least the fourth quarter, while the 2012-2013 U.S. budgets for NIH
The stock was last quoted at $31.40, down 21.3%, on volume of more than 300,000, according to Nasdaq.com. The news was weighing on shares of other life science tool makers, including Affymetrix (AFFX), down 8%; Bruker Corp. (BRKR), off 9.4%; and Life Technologies (LIFE), losing 5.7%.
Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV